Monday, April 30, 2012

Meatless Monday -- Locally Grown Veggie Night

It has been a few weeks since I posted a new recipe on here. Gramma Kat (my mother) was here for two weeks, and life has just been hectic for a couple weeks prior and since. I've done probably 60 hours of yard work in the last three weeks, as well as plenty of indoor projects as well.

Tonight's recipe was very simple. This past weekend, the Apopka Woman's Club hosted their annual Apopka Art & Foliage Festival , and I was able to pick up two beautiful locally grown cucumbers (the one we had tonight was one of the best I've had in a while) and a massive locally grown eggplant, fresh picked Saturday in Zellwood.

I may have said this on past blogs, or to some of you in person, but the eggplant has always been a huge challenge to me, and I've just never enjoyed it at home, without frying it. That is, until a few weeks ago. The following recipe is one I love and has pleased everyone that has had it. I usually think of eggplant as a side dish (unless served with pasta and red sauce), but it was the main course tonight.

Joey's Breaded Eggplant (feeds 2-3 as a main course, 4-6 as a side dish):

You will need: 1 large eggplant; 3 large eggs, breadcrumbs (italian or plain), italian cheese mix

Preheat the oven to 350;  lay out two bowls -- one for the egg wash (you will want to whip them, but not until you are ready to start dipping, or the egg begins to separate) and one for the bread crumbs (big enough to roll it around). After slicing the eggplant, wash in egg and cover in breadcrumbs on each side. You can add some spices, like basil (my preference), italian seasonings, or thyme. Bake for about 12 minutes, remove from oven and top with cheese, baking for another 10 to 12 minutes. By then, they should be firm enough to hold and soft enough to bite into or cut with a fork.

The side ingredient that you see above is one of the most simple and tastiest salads in the world.

Tomato Cuke Salad:

You will need: 1 large cuke, 1 large ugly tomato (or 2 vine tomatos or maybe 3 romas), italian dressing (I use the fat free) and italian cheese

Cut the cuke to desired sizes -- I usually just slice and half them myself. I leave the skin on, as I like the flavor. Cut up your tomatos into ite sized pieces. Add italian dressing and sprinkle some cheese into it. Mix and serve.


To top it off, I managed a locally grown watermelon (local to Florida at least) as our second side dish.

All in all, this was a delicious and somewhat light dinner. It was nice to have something like this after some yard work this evening, and I felt very satisfied with it all. If you try any of the above, let me know what you think.

I've been told that I need to start featuring some of my meaty dishes during the week, so I will try to get one up every week for each now, at least when I have something worth sharing.

This week I will post my vegetarian quiche that I made two weeks in a row, to much satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment