Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Healthy Alternative Spaghetti with meat sauce

Tonight's recipe is a little different than the normal. A friend mentioned, the other day, that I should start posting recipes with meat as well, especially since I'm a bit more of a carnivore than a vegetarian. Recently, I've decided to start taking my diet more seriously. In that statement, I mean the primary definition of diet. I'm hoping to make some real changes to how I eat, not just for short term weight loss, but for long term health. Tonight, I made a meat dish that incorporates two things I love and won't give up (red sauce and pasta). Tonight was a sort of Spaghetti Chicken Stir Fry.


This recipe is pretty simple. Here is what you will need:

  • chicken breast cut into strips (1lb) or stir fry chicken (as sold at Albertson's and Publix)
  • mushrooms (1 package)
  • onion (1/2 large onion) - I prefer vidalia
  • oregano
  • cilantro
  • pasta (1 package)
  • marinara sauce (1 can/jar) 
  1. Begin by putting the pasta on to boil, as this will take the longest. 
  2. Spray a little pan cooking spray into your frying pan -- sautee the chicken, onion and mushroom until the chicken has browned on the outside. I usually cook on medium to medium high (5-7 on electric stove top), adding maybe a 1/2 tsp of oregano and 1/2 tsp cilantro  as chicken is just starting to brown. 
  3. At the same time that you being the chicken, put pasta sauce on to warm, cooking at a medium temp -- I suggest covering
  4. Serve together, topped with a pinch of parmesan cheese
Overall, you will find this to be fewer calories than spaghetti with ground beef or meatballs -- 3 oz of chicken with the mushrooms and onions makes it feel somewhat hearty and very satisfying. Let me know what you think!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment